Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Words of Wisdom

The Bhagavad Gita is a poem from the Mahabarata. It is quite interesting to me because in it, Vishnu (the god of preservation) enlightens Arjuna (a favored mortal) about how to live according to duty (dharma) no matter the circumstances. Arjuna is a well-known and admired warrior who, for once, stops and questions Vishnu about why he should go into this particular battle. He feels as though he would reap no good consequence if he killed his opponents in this battle because they were his own family. Vishnu informs Arjuna that wrong is wrong, no matter who the wrong-doer is and that he should act without attachments.  Afterwards, Vishnu tells Arjuna exactly how to reach a steady state of mind so that he can stay calm, in control of his feelings, and, ultimately, stay true to his duty. One of my favorite pieces of advice from Vishnu is when Vishnu tells Arjuna,
                             "When he renounces all desires
                               entering his mind, Arjuna,
                               and his self rests within the Self
                               then his wisdom is called steady."    (line 55).
I like this quote the most because when I think in such a manner, referring to putting away my desires, I find that I can think clearly and also because I have accomplished many of my short-term goals. The words of Vishnu are not only advice for Arjuna, but also advice for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment